Did you know that they are more than 2 billion people around the world who eat edible insects on a regular basis? There are many ways of cooking insects depending on the country. Let’s take as an example the following countries and let start cooking insects: France, Thailand, Ghana, Mexico and Colombia.
Insects for cooking are high in proteins, iron and vitamins and can be eaten in a sweet or savoury way.
You can cook insects in many ways, just as you want. The following recipes will surprise your guests and make them love the insect cuisine.
In Thailand, we cook insects in all ways!
- Crickets prepared with combava leaves and lemongrass.
- Fried noodles with grasshoppers, eggs, soysauce, peanuts and lime.
In Ghana, cooking insects as delicacies
- Cricket fritters with flour and sugar can be cooked in hot oil. You can add some of your favourite fruits such as apple and banana.
- Codfish croquettes with plantain banana and mealworms, composed with red onion, celery branch, garlic cloves, tomato, pepper, cumin and coriander. You’ll add the mealworms at the end, they will add some crispiness.
In France, we also cook insects!
- Mealworms spring rolls with crispy vegetables and lime peel.
- Grasshoppers salad that you can prepare simply with lettuce, tomates, bell peppers, and carrots. Grasshoppers will be perfect to replace croutons and bacon in your Caesar salad.
Traditionnal Mexican dishes are made out of insects
- A tortilla with avocado, sour cream, guacamole and crispy insects such as crickets
- Tacos with shrimps pepper and grasshoppers, corn, lime and coriander.
In Colombia, insects are part of the traditional diet
- The traditional Ajiaco soup with mealworms prepared with capers, mazorca, white rice and fresh avocado.
- The traditional fried chicken with arepas, potatoes and crispy grasshoppers.
If all your recipe’s ideas inspired you, let express the chef within you and create your own recipes with insects. For inspiration, you can find many ways to cook insects on our blog.
Bug appetit !
Be the first to post a comment