You want to start cooking insects? You’re in the right place ! At JIMINI’S, from starter to dessert, from winter to summer, we love to cook insects in every way. For today, it will be a dessert. On the menu, we prepared 4 verrines with roasted mealworms. We combined the creaminess of mascarpone, the sweetness of pears and the crispiness of mealworms. Who said that cooking insects were difficult?
Cooking insects as a dessert : Winter’s verrine
Ingredients for 4 verrines :
- 10 speculoos cookies
- 2 pears in syrup
- 100g of butter
- 8 tablespoons ofmealworms for cooking
- 70g of brown sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 4 cl of cream
- 150 g of mascarpone
- 150 ml of liquid cream
- 2 bags of vanilla sugar
- 25 g of dark chocolate
- One whisker
- One electric mixer (or a very strong strong arm)
- One bowl
- One pot
- 4 verrines
Preparation of your dessert with insects :
- Set aside the cream in a bowl into your freezer (or in the coldest place of your fridge).
- Crush the speculoos biscuits (the easiest way is to put them in a zip bag and crush them with a rolling pin).
- Melt 50 grams of butter and mix them with the biscuits. Set aside
- Drain the pears and cut them in small pieces.
- In a pot, start caramelizing your sugar. When it starts browning, add the 50 grams of butter while mixing with the whisker. Add the cream slowly while continuing whisking. Set the caramel aside.
- Take the bowl out of the fridge, add the 2 bags of vanilla sugar and the mascarpone. Use your electric mixer to make a firm whipped cream.
- Mix the speculoos with 4 tablespoons of mealworms. Split in 4 and put them in the verrines.
- In the verrines, put in that order: the caramel, the pieces of pears, the whipped cream. Let it cool in the fridge for one hour.
- Spread some grated chocolate on top. Before serving, add one tablespoon of mealworms on top of each verrine.
And here you are, it’s time to savour it!
and an enormous thanks to Alix Boudon for this wormderful recipe!
PS : Discover all of our recipes with edible insects on our blog. Don’t hesitate to share the recipes, we will love to see you cooking insects.
Be the first to post a comment